If you have come to this post, it is because you need or has a relative who is looking for a mattress and you want to know which mattress is better for elderly people. If you want to know how to choose the mattress, well, you are in the right place. In this post, we will give you all the keys that the ideal mattress for an elderly person must gather.
At each age, we have different needs. Our bodies change and so must our rest equipment. It is necessary to know which mattress is best for each stage of life. As we age, pains caused by physical wear and tear or age-typical diseases appear that require special attention. We must always try to have a good rest, and with age, we tend to sleep less at night and more discontinuously. So which mattress is better for the elderly?
So which mattress is better at this stage?
In the third age, the rest needs change. The body is more fragile and the appearance of discomfort associated with bad posture or diseases is more possible. How to choose the mattress is the most common question and here are some good factors to consider.
- Older people sleep less: During the night they spend less time sleeping, although this is usually compensated by mini naps throughout the day.
- Bone pain: Arthritis, for example, is a very common disease in this age and causes bone pain and discomfort.
- Many elderly people suffer from circulatory or respiratory problems. In order to relieve them, it is necessary to adopt a correct posture when resting.
- Consider the possibility of needing to stay in bed for longer or shorter periods of time during convalescence.
So how to choose the mattress for elderly people?
The Best Mattress for Seniors
Every year, at Colchón Exprés we put out a Ranking of our best mattresses of the year.
The advantage of this Ranking, compared to others, is that in it we show information and comparison of a wide variety of models and brands, and each one is recommended for a specific profile of sleepers. Specifically, for the elderly, the mattress that our experts and our clients liked the most was with the highest rate and quality.
A per our advice and review ranking, one of the best and good price mattress is:
Vibe Gel Memory Foam mattress
- 2 inches of gel-infused memory foam combined with 3 inches of gel-infused foam draws heat away from your body for a more comfortable night’s sleep
- 7 inches of conforming high-density base foam provides surrounding support and responsive relief that helps evenly distribute pressure points in any sleeping position
- Luxurious stretch knit quilted fiber cover
- Medium-Plush Feel and Adjustable Base Friendly
- High-quality memory foam conforms to your body while the cool gel regulates temperature; memory foam is naturally hypoallergenic and resistant to allergens, mold, bacteria, and dust mites and meets CertiPUR-US program standards for performance, emissions, and durability
- Mattress ships compressed, rolled, and shipped in a box conveniently delivered to your door for easy set-up;
Another option and one of the highest recommended mattress is:
The reasons are several and we expose them below:
- In the first place, it is a mattress that has padding made of perforated Talalay Latex with maximum breathability that prevents sinking and the feeling of being overwhelmed at rest, while allowing great freedom of movement and a correct position. of the back in any resting position
- It is highly breathable thanks to its small diameter pocket spring core that provides the perfect pressure to each part of the body
- It offers a medium-high level of firmness, the most suitable to achieve a great relaxation of the muscles during the hours of sleep
- Its design makes it ideal to be placed on articulated beds without wrinkles forming when articulating
- It is a mattress that is delivered vacuum packed so that in a period of between 48 and 72 hours you can have it anywhere in the Peninsula or the Balearic Islands
- In addition, its height of 25 cm is perfect so that the total bed height does not rise too high. It is considered as one of the best mattress for the elderly people.
Other mattress options
Lots of options will pop up when you ask How to choose the mattress? Which mattress is better for the elderly? If the mattress that we have shown you before does not convince you or you want to consider more options, we explain the advantages and disadvantages offered by the different types of mattresses, according to the type of materials that make them up. Choosing a mattress for elderly people might not be as easy as you think.
Memory foam mattresses
When it comes to relieving pressure points, memory foam mattresses are ideal for the elderly. The problem can arise when the person has a reduced ability to move and the memory foam layer of the padding is greater than 5 centimeters, as it could still hinder movement in bed. For this reason, we must choose mattresses with a less memory foam layer and, if possible, with a good level of perspiration.
Emma Essential King Memory Foam Mattress
- HIGH-QUALITY MEMORY FOAM for ideal comfort and support. Our expert combination of various foam layers ensures you the comfort of memory foam technology with the support of high-quality base foam.
- 7 ZONE PRESSURE RELIEF, with the Emma Essential you get not one, not two, but 7 ZONES of support. This allows for the mattress to adapt to your body’s individual shape at EVERY curve and in EVERY sleeping position.
- SLEEP COOL with breathable, temperature-regulating cover. No more overheating as our open-pore fibers take and release air back to you, keeping you cool for the entire night.
- AWARD-WINNING, Emma is an award-winning sleep company in many countries throughout the world. We are bringing our expert R&D knowledge and experience to every product we sell.
- RISK-FREE, try the Emma Essential for 100 nights risk-free. No need to worry about whether or not Emma is the perfect fit for you, as you can try it for yourself. If it is not the perfect mattress for you, we will pick it up for free and refund your purchase. We also offer a 5-YEAR WARRANTY to complete your risk-free experience. The best part? The mattress comes to you tightly rolled in a convenient box. Simply unbox, unroll, and unwind! Definitely could be the best mattress for the elderly.
Latex does not reach the adaptability of memory foam, but it is still an ideal material for mattresses for the elderly. It has an excellent rebound effect, providing excellent freedom of movement. In this way, the sleeper is prevented from feeling “trapped” by the mattress and it is possible to reduce the feeling of overwhelm when sleeping for those warmer sleepers.
TUFT & NEEDLE – Original Queen Adaptive Foam Mattress
- Proven: Over a million people choose us every night. In fact, 95% of our customers keep and love their T&N Original Mattress, Featuring our own proprietary T&N Adaptive foam, the Original Mattress is universally comfortable for all sleeping positions
- Proprietary foam: Our T&N Adaptive foam is engineered based on customer feedback and provides pressure relief where you need it most. An open-cell structure provides a flexible sleep surface that adjusts to you as you move throughout the night
- Cool sleeping: Our foam is more advanced than outdated materials such as latex and memory foam, the T&N Adaptive foam helps pull away heat with cooling graphite and gel beads, wrapped in our breathable plush cover to help keep you cool and comfortable
- Free of harmful chemicals: Our mattresses Greenguard Gold and CertiPUR-US certified, this means our beds are held to the highest of standards and are third-party tested and certified to free of harmful chemicals, substances, or materials
- Questions: We pride ourselves on customer service and urge you to reach out to us directly if you have any questions at any point, our expert customer service team will be available to help you through any hesitations, problems, or questions you may have
- Note: Please allow up to 72 hours for the mattress to fully expand and for any potential odor to dissipate. It is a good quality mattress and absolutely could be taken as the best mattress for elderly people.
Important things to keep in mind
Whichever mattress you ultimately choose, don’t forget to use a suitable mattress protector. Ideally, it should be waterproof and breathable at the same time, to protect the mattress without reducing the free circulation of air on the sleeping surface.
The height of the resting equipment must also be taken into account. It must be adequate so that getting out of bed is easy and at the same time they do not have to “climb” to lie down.
Finally, choose a suitable rest base to get the best out of your mattress. And if you are also thinking of changing your rest equipment and want to choose the one that best suits your needs in our article on How to choose the mattress? We give you all the keys you need.
Find some tips for a good slip and health in Sleep well, the key to our health.
So how to choose the mattress, where is the best place to buy it and how to take care of it, all you can find on this site with full information you need.