It is troublesome and expensive to take an orthopedic mattress to dry cleaning after each freshly planted spot. But pollution cannot be ignored either. The remains of food and drinks, particles of skin and hair, pet hair are stored in layers of filler and can cause a lot of troubles: from an ineradicable unpleasant odor to health problems. Alternatively, you can clean the mattress at home.
But before you clean your orthopedic mattress at home, it’s worth remembering a few tips and anti-tips.
How to clean a mattress from stains at home and not ruin an expensive product at the first self-cleaning
- Washing the mattress in the shower, using chlorine or gasoline to remove stains is strictly prohibited.
- Do not knock out and iron the surface with an iron. Otherwise, the filler is permanently deformed.
- It is undesirable to wash with a household washing vacuum cleaner – the moisture will remain inside and become moldy.
- It is necessary to use a steam cleaner with extreme caution: water vapor heats up to 150 degrees, deforming the filler or casing.
- It is impossible to wash, wash, dry the mattress in an upright position – manipulations are carried out only on a flat horizontal surface.
- In addition to the mattress, you also need to clean the bed frame.
- Reading the care instructions before starting work will save you from irreparable mistakes.
Yet few know how to clean a best cheap crib mattress springless mattress. Therefore, we share working recipes for cleaning and care.
Advice 1. How to clean an orthopedic mattress at home with a household vacuum cleaner
This requires a powerful vacuum cleaner with an empty dust bag and a clean brush. Additionally, you can use a narrow nozzle – it is convenient to walk along the joints of the seams or depressions where the main “reserves” accumulate. You need to clean the mattress with a home vacuum cleaner on both sides at least once a week. Do not cover the mattress immediately after cleaning – let it “rest” in a clean room for a couple of hours.
Vacuuming is a neutral and gentle home preventive measure that will remove dirt from the upholstery surface and help freshen the mattress. But what has already fallen into the deep layers cannot be pulled out with an ordinary vacuum cleaner.
Tip 2. How to clean an orthopedic mattress from stains left by liquid
When something bright is spilled onto the mattress, you need to act quickly: find a white napkin or cotton cloth and thoroughly blot the liquid. Do not rub or smear. Move from the edge of the spot to the middle so as not to spread the liquid even more. Then proceed depending on the type of pollution:
- Pour red wine with salt, wait 5-7 minutes and remove the salt with a vacuum cleaner. If the stain does not lighten the first time, repeat.
- Blot traces of fat with a napkin dipped in alcohol or vodka. Blot the rest with a clean cloth.
- The blood is removed with a small amount of hydrogen peroxide. The rest of the peroxide must be removed with a cotton pad.
- Coffee is clarified with an aqueous solution of ammonia: 1 teaspoon of alcohol in a glass of water. Apply the solution for 5 minutes, wipe with a damp cloth and leave to dry completely.
If you can’t get rid of the stain right away, you can use a stain remover. It is best to buy a foamy product or one that requires a minimum of water to dilute.
Tip 3: Don’t believe popular advice or ads for super remedies
Thrifty housewives take pollution as a challenge and willingly tell you how to clean a mattress at home from stains of any origin. But an orthopedic mattress is too expensive a field for experimentation. And most of the miraculous means for “cleaning everything” turn out to be household stain cleaners. In the best case, you will have to remove the “stain from the stain remover”, in the worst – plan a budget for the purchase of a new mattress.
Separately, we want to talk about the use of improvised means “for a penny”. Perhaps they helped someone once. But this is more a miracle than a regularity. Here’s our list of anti-tips on how to clean your mattress at home from sofa experts:
- Machine wash – no comment.
- Spray aromatic oil on the surface to remove an unpleasant smell – the smells will only reinforce each other, and fresh greasy marks will appear on the upholstery.
- Remove a greasy stain with dishwashing liquid – to pick up the formed foam, the surface will have to be heavily wetted. And unwashed residues of the product will corrode the fabric.
- Spray rubbing alcohol over the surface to remove pet tags – alcohol will evaporate in a couple of minutes, leaving a wet mark. But only.
Tip 4. How to clean the mattress from old stains or dirt
Our employees have been engaged in the selection of anatomical mattresses and everything connected with them for more than a year. Therefore, we authoritatively assure that you cannot do it yourself. And we will answer the question “how to clean an old mattress on our own” in the same way. The cleaning of old mattresses and old stains must be trusted by professionals. Let us explain why.
Anything that gets under the upholstery cannot be removed with home remedies. Over time, contaminants have time to gain a foothold in the deep layers of the mattress and become a home for microorganisms. Therefore, you will have to fight not only with dust, but also with fungus, dust mites or other insects. Among other things, layered filling does not dry well. But more often – it does not dry out completely and as a result, the “aroma” of moldy fabric and brown stains are added to all the troubles.
And yet, how can you clean a mattress at home from stubborn dirt? Call dry cleaning at home. Reagents for professional cleaning are selected according to the type, depth and age of the dirt. Dirt is removed with a vacuum or professional cleaning vacuum cleaner. And for final drying, portable drying units are used. As a result, the client receives a clean mattress without unpleasant odor and moisture.
Strong contamination is easier to prevent than to remove. Therefore…
Tip 5: get a protective mattress topper
A protective mattress topper is a cover for a mattress that performs 2 main tasks: to keep moisture out of the mattress and to be well ventilated. Ordinary fabrics do not have such properties. Therefore, high-quality protective mattress covers are made of a special material. On the side that is closer to the body, the fabric can be soft and pleasant to the touch. And on the side of the mattress there is a waterproof membrane backing.
A protective mattress topper is the thing that will help the mattress to last 2-3 times longer. Even if you spill a glass of juice or wine, the cover will take the entire “blow”. And at the same time:
- protects mattress fabrics from abrasion;
- prevent deformation of the filler;
- will provide uniform cooling of the body or preservation of heat;
- will correct the firmness of the mattress;
- prevent allergies.
As for the design of the mattress topper, from the point of view of protection, it is better to purchase a stretch cover with an elastic band around the perimeter or a solid one with a zipper. These models protect the mattress not only from the top but also from the sides.
You need to wash the mattress topper 2 times a month, so it is better to immediately purchase 2 pieces.
According to statistics, we are in contact with a mattress longer than with a work chair or other types of furniture. And, therefore, its cleanliness is not just an indicator of the “housekeeping” of the mistress of the house, but also a guarantee of the health of the household.
Good luck and sweet dreams!